HitchHikers and Satire

This week I listened to the original Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy radio show. I've always watched the movie as a kid and have always loved it but didn't even know it was based on a radio show, not the book. I really loved it more than I thought I would and it's way funnier than I remember and so so British. But it's not all just fun and gags as I used to think when I was a kid. For example, it starts right off with Arthur's house about to be forcibly being demolished against his will because the government wants to build a highway. This obviously is an example of a story that has happened to thousands of people who have been forcibly removed from their own homes because of the pointless government projects. This is immediately paralleled with the aliens destroying Earth for the exact reason. It shows how heavily it impacts the people involved and how pointless these projects can be. It then further goes to show this with the fact the reason Earth was destroyed because of a stupid narcissistic man signing something that he didn't care to read. These are direct references to what actually happens in real life. He stupid and careless decisions made by higher ups can ruin peoples lives or even kill them. I only listened to a couple of the episodes so did get too into it but from what I remember from the movie theres far more examples of satirical commentary such as when the group is on the planet of the Vogons and people wait for years and years to be able to get required paperwork and they get to skip the line because they have a famous guy with them showing both the broken system of how the government gets paperwork done and the privilege of famous and rich people who don't have to deal with any of that. The more I look at it, the more I realize that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is built on the critique of the government, specifically the British government and is more than just a funny movie like I thought it was when I was a kid. I'm definitely going to rewatch the movie with all of this in mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with a Vampire

I Live With You