Harry Potter and morality

I've always been a Harry Potter fan but only ever stuck to the movies but this week I finally motivated myself to read the first book. It's hard to go from watching a movie many times and then reading the book and not being able to image every single scene exactly the way it is in the movies but there were some new things I learned about the world that I hadn't known before. Harry Potter is a book and movie series that mostly everyone is familiar with but the books present a lot more than just a fantastic and believable world and characters. As young adult novels, they take on the goal of also teaching moral and spiritual lessons that a young adult has to learn as they become an adult.
The biggest lesson that I personally learned from Harry Potter is that your idols/teachers can be heavily flawed too. I was shocked when I learned Dumbledore had done terrible things in his life and even basically brought Harry up for him to die. It was so shocking to me that even the man that we were lead to be the most trustable and wise person was actually pretty bad in his past and still his present. The opposite goes for Snape, where we were lead on to believe that he was this really evil guy that is out to get Harry (which was still kinda true), was actually a man who deeply cared for Harry and actually wanted to help him. It shows that people aren't just black and white, no one is truly entirely good or bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with a Vampire

HitchHikers and Satire

I Live With You